- Identify common causes of food contamination and types of food poisoning bacteria.
- Describe how the following aspects of Food Safety (cleanliness, temperature control, cooking, monitoring and storage) can help to prevent food poisoning.
- Describe how Personal Hygiene (hand washing, general body hygiene, reporting sickness, wearing protective clothing) can help to prevent food poisoning.
Assessment: CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
Homework: Revision for food safety in catering exam which will involve practice questions
- Identify the functions and food sources of: protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins & minerals
- Describe the importance of healthy eating including reference to government guidelines, 5-a-day, Eatwell Plate
- Demonstrate different methods of cake making: whisking, creaming, rubbing-in, melting
Assessment: Test - hygiene and nutrition
Homework: Healthy eating exam questions
- Describe how to select, store, prepare and serve: fish, meat and eggs
- Describe how to select, store, prepare and serve: milk and dairy products
- Demonstrate how to prepare and cook the following commodities safely: fish, meat, eggs, milk and dairy products
Assessment: Test - hygiene. nutrients and food commodities
Homework: Exam questions on food commodities
- Research how chefs use a wide range of fruit and vegetables to add colour, flavour and texture to their menus.
- Using fruit and vegetables, produce and serve a range of interesting dishes that would be popular with customers.
- Research, plan, make, cost and evaluate 2 sweet and 2 savoury dishes that demonstrate the versatility of fruits and vegetables in food preparation.
Assessment: Controlled assessment task 1 - research and planning
Homework: Exam questions on fruits and vegetables
- Using fruit and vegetables, produce and serve four interesting dishes that would be popular with customers.
- Evaluate products made in terms of skills demonstrated, time management and customer acceptability
- Demonstrate how to analyse a recipe in terms of cost and nutrients
Assessment: Controlled assessment task 1 - making and evaluating
Homework: Long-answer homework question
- Evaluate different methods of cooking
- Demonstrate how to carry out different methods of cooking safely
- Compare convenience foods with home-made versions
Assessment: Summer progress exam
Homework: Revise for the summer progress exam