- Identify common causes of food contamination and types of food poisoning bacteria.
- Describe how the following aspects of food safety (cleanliness, temperature control, cooking, monitoring and storage) can help to prevent food poisoning.
- Describe how personal hygiene (hand washing, general body hygiene, reporting sickness, wearing protective clothing) can help to prevent food poisoning.
Assessment: CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering.
Homework: Revision for food safety in catering exam which will involve practice questions.
- Identify the functions and food sources of protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals.
- Describe the importance of healthy eating including reference to government guidelines, 5-a-day, Eatwell Plate.
- Demonstrate different methods of cake making: whisking, creaming, rubbing-in, melting.
Assessment: Test - hygiene and nutrition.
Homework: Healthy eating exam questions.
- Describe how to select, store, prepare and serve: fish, meat and eggs.
- Describe how to select, store, prepare and serve: milk and dairy products.
- Demonstrate how to prepare and cook the following commodities safely: fish, meat, eggs, milk and dairy products.
Assessment: Test - hygiene. nutrients and food commodities.
Homework: Exam questions on food commodities.
- Research how chefs use a wide range of fruit and vegetables to add colour, flavour and texture to their menus.
- Using fruit and vegetables, produce and serve a range of interesting dishes that would be popular with customers.
- Research, plan, make, cost and evaluate 2 sweet and 2 savoury dishes that demonstrate the versatility of fruits and vegetables in food preparation.
Assessment: Controlled assessment task 1 - research and planning.
Homework: Exam questions on fruits and vegetables.
- Using fruit and vegetables, produce and serve four interesting dishes that would be popular with customers.
- Evaluate products made in terms of skills demonstrated, time management and customer acceptability.
- Demonstrate how to analyse a recipe in terms of cost and nutrients.
Assessment: Controlled assessment task 1 - making and evaluating.
Homework: Long-answer homework question.
- Evaluate different methods of cooking.
- Demonstrate how to carry out different methods of cooking safely.
- Compare convenience foods with home-made versions.
Assessment: Summer progress exam.
Homework: Revise for the summer progress exam.