The courses you apply for in Sixth Form are an important part of your education and career path. Please begin by considering carefully the courses which are right for you and if you are unsure about your likely GCSE results, talk to us so we can help you to decide the most suitable route.
Dates for Sixth Form applications
- NE6 open evening – This event has happened, please contact the school if you would like to look around.
- Initial applications – This event has happened, please contact the school if you would like to submit an application or arrange an interview.
- Offer letters will be issued in March 2020
- Induction event in June 2020
General entry requirements to access NE6
- 9-5 grades in at least five separate subject areas
- A grade 4 or above in English Language and Maths.
- Proven good behaviour and attendance
A level entry requirements
- A grade 6 or above in that subject at GCSE.
- Please note, for Science subjects your grade in Maths will also be considered.
- Where an A level subject was not on offer at GCSE, similar GCSE subjects will be considered.
BTEC entry requirements
- A grade 5 or above in that subject at GCSE
- A Merit or above in that subject at Level 2 BTEC
There are several potential pathways to choose from:
- 3 A Levels
- 2 A Levels and 1 BTEC qualification
- 1 A Level and 2 BTEC courses
- 3 BTEC courses
Once the option blocks are finalised you will need to select one A Level or BTEC option only from three of the four available blocks.
Courses will run subject to the required number of students enrolling, staffing provisions and exam board approval. Courses will only run if there are viable numbers.
The completed Options Form will be checked to ensure that your child has chosen a balanced range of subjects, allowing them access to as wide a range of careers as possible in the future.
We will do our very best to accommodate your child's choices but it will be necessary for reserve choices to be made. Therefore, your child should choose their reserve choices carefully. We are offering a wide range of courses, but may not be able to run them all.
To apply after March 2020, please contact us directly for an initial discussion.
If you have any questions about the admissions process or your options for applying to the Sixth Form at Bedlington Academy, please contact Mr Michael Laidlaw, Head of Sixth Form. At Ashington Academy, please contact Ms Sue Bell.